Monday, April 12, 2010

BLT Salad

Since I started this food blog 2 months ago, both the hubs and I have gained a whopping 15 pounds...each.   I suppose that's a good enough reason to put salad back into my meal rotation.  Will this be the end of my dessert and bread making days?  Yeah, right.  My carb addiction is a voracious and relentless beast.  So while I may not make a new dessert every day, I will certainly still be making (and eating) dessert!

This salad may not be low on the fat scale, but it is quite low on non-complex (simple) carbs.  The only sugar is in the white balsamic vinegar used in the vinaigrette and the small amount of natural sugar found in tomatoes.  It is my version of diet food (not really much of a sacrifice).  Now if this were to be eaten just as a side salad, or a starter with no concern of carbs, I would venture to say that a crusty piece of French bread with a slather of butter would make a nice accompaniment.  But today this is my lunch, without bread:( 

BLT Salad
serves 4 as a side salad or 2 as lunch

8 thick slices of bacon, cut in half
1 teaspoon of minced shallot
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 head of butter lettuce, torn (or half butter lettuce and half red leaf lettuce)
Large handful of grape or cherry tomatoes, cut into small wedges
6 ounces of blue cheese, cut into small wedges, or crumbled

In skillet, cook bacon until crisp and set aside on paper towel.
In small bowl,whisk together shallots, vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the vinaigrette, mound on a plate and arrange bacon, tomatoes and blue cheese around the lettuce.


8 comments:

  1. Personally, I am all about meals with multiple starches.

    Salad looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you, Min! But it took me several months to lose a few pounds and just two months to gain 15. How does that happen?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was seriously going to post (a few weeks ago) that I would weigh 300 pounds if I cooked as well as you do!

    You're really accomplishing something great here; though. Looking forward to seeing how you figure it all out, be it a month of low-fat Martha, salad Martha, feed-everyone-else-but-me Martha, juice fast Martha, bulimia Martha . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. just make sure that on your low-carb diet you up the fats, particularly saturated and monosaturated fats (good fats, no matter what margarine-company-paid-for-studies say). they replace carbohydrates as your main source of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastilla, I hope I figure something out, because at this rate, 300 pounds is right around the corner!

    Alyssa, Thanks for the advise. I do believe with the bacon, blue cheese, and olive oil in this salad, I've got the fat covered:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome salad and pics! I eat low carb and have been meaning to try a BLT salad...I think you've inspired me to throw something similar on the menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this and am eating it now. Well, minus the bleu cheese. I'm not a fan of it. It's sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! There was a time when I didn't care for blue cheese either. It grew on me. Same with Swiss. I love it all now:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails